Home        T-Shirt DIY's     Re-Styles      WobiSobi DIY's        Videos 

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Re-Style # 53 ~ Gold Leaf Heels

I received a great question  from Colleen.
ColleenJan 12, 2012 01:34 PM
Love this! Got any ideas for fixing the heels of heels worn to work? Glitter would not go over very well...
First of all, Thank you so much Colleen for your wonderful question. Second, I hope this helps.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and this is one solution I came up with. 
~ Gold leaf.~
I have to confess, I have NEVER used gold leaf. :(  I know , I know, how could that be?  Well I have no answer, except maybe I was afraid of it. Afraid it would be too hard or I would totally screw it up.  One thing I have learned this year is,  "Who really cares if I mess up.?" Not doing something just because you are afraid, makes life way to Safe, and boring.  My next 50 years is going to being spent taking chances and doing things that scare me. Don't get me wrong I am not going to go crazy robbing banks, doing drugs or jumping out of planes, but creating things and taking chances with what I love in the style/ art world, well, that is what I 'm talking about.

And sometimes, more than not, you create something pretty awesome!!
 (And it was pretty easy)



 Tutorial
Things you need

  1. Gold leaf kit~ Michaels
  2. One very small, one medium, paint brush.
  3. Wax paper
  4. Shoes 
  5. Soft cloth




  Clean your shoes really well.
These are a pair of my Jessica Simpson shoes.
Apply a coat of the adhesive. Let this sit for  30 minutes( yes you have to.)


 Then cut a piece of wax paper 
lay this under one sheet of your gold leaf, rub lightly  so  the gold leaf sticks to the wax paper.
This way, it is much easier to apply to your shoe.  
Now lay the gold leaf over where you put your glue,
rub lightly. 
 peel off the wax paper 
take your medium brush and use it to rub over the gold leaf.
 If you have places that the gold did not stick to, just reapply the adhesive let it sit for another 30 minute
( Yes you have to.)
and reapply your gold. These shoes only took 1 sheet of gold.

do this until your whole heel is covered.
Repeat this for the other shoe.
The instructions on the gold leaf kit will help you as well.

 use a soft cloth to rub over the gold softly, just to make sure everything is adhered and it also buffs  the gold, 
just do not rub too hard. Light hands ladies.
This also cleans up the extra gold.

I let my shoes sit for about  24 hour before I sealed them with the sealer that came with the kit.
You should NOT use a water based sealer, you need and oil based one. That is why I loved the kit, everything was there.  It also has an antiquing paint you could put on, to dull the gold . 
Which I am debating on doing.


 Oh Yes,
I love them!!
Thanks Colleen !
Have a super wonderful night everyone!
Thanks for joining me..
Lots of <3,
Anne
Another way to fix your heels is HERE

13 comments:

  1. Whoa! Those are super cute! I can't help but wonder what it would look like with the antique stain on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I think they would appropriate in an office work setting, or antiqueing the gold would look good too. Very clever! I don't think I will ever throw out another pair of shoes again thanks to your blog. You have inspired me to take another closer look at everything, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow great job! these look amazing.

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a pair of black patent leather pumps and the heel is in terrible shape. I think they would look really cool with silver heels but I'm not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      Thanks for getting back to me on my blog! I didn't know silver leaf existed, I'll try that for sure. I'm so happy I can fix my poor heels! Your blog is really cool btw, I just found it today and I love all the DYI fashion tips!
      Thanks again,
      Jesse

      Delete
  5. Every time super.Pozdroweinia of Polish-aga

    ReplyDelete
  6. How FUN!!!!
    www.cathykhayes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute!!! I've been neglecting all my blogger friends... but I have seen all your fab stuff! Just haven't had a minute to post how much I love it all! xx m

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have known this was you! I've seen these floating all over pinterest!

    xoxo
    n

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you. If you have a question, Please leave your Email so that I can respond. I try and respond to all my comments. Have a beautiful day!!